Saturday, July 7, 2007

An Old Project


Since I'm still working on the Butterick pants and since they are rather dull and boring and provide little fodder for discussion, I thought I'd share an old project. I made this dress for my daughter after she asked that I make her a Madeline dress. For those who don't know, Madeline is a children's character - a little French orphan who solves mysteries and gives to the poor.

One day, Rosalind asked me if I would make her a Madeline dress. As she has never before asked me to make her something, I jumped at the chance. Within a day, I had researched Madeline attire and picked out a pattern and was waiting for it to go on sale. I was thrilled that my lovely, then three-year-old daughter was taking interest in having me make things for her. I later discovered that her daddy, wanting his daughter to wear something other than satin princess dress-up clothes, had suggested the idea to her. Nevertheless, I was still excited that she was excited.

I went looking for some dark blue and white fabric. I found some linen at Joann's that was on sale, so I went for that. The dress does need to be ironed everytime it comes out of the dryer. (I have to be more careful about the fabrics I choose for DD's clothes. I'm not used to having to iron her laundry.) Anyway, this is the final product. I cut a size two and lengthened it, as DD is thin and a bit tall for her age. I'll post a pic of the pattern later. One thing I like about the pattern is that the sleeves are pleated instead of eased, so they are very quick to put together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.