Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Patriotic Birthday Card

My dad's birthday is July 5th, so we usually celebrate on the 4th. Because of that, I often make his birthday card using a patriotic theme.

The below card was inspired by Jennifer McQuire's video on using distress inks with embossing folders. I tried the technique a few times of putting the distress ink directly on the embossing folder, but when the red and blue ran together, they (obviously) made purple, which ruined the patriotic color scheme I was going for. So after some thinking, I just decided to use the distress inks after I embossed. I will use the other embossed pieces for other cards in the future.

And by the way, if you are a card maker, I highly recommend Jennifer McQuire's videos if you haven't already discovered her blog. She is an excellent teacher, and she makes seemingly complicated techniques very accessible.


Supplies include Papertrey Ink stamp, Tim Holtz embossing folder, distress inks and Wink of Stella brush pen.




No comments: