Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Branching Out

I am participating in the July Mixed Media Monthly Challenge. This month's challenge is to use household found items in a project. For this project, I decided to go a little outside my comfort zone and try a new style. In particular, I was inspired by the layered, multi-media scrapbooking style of Rikka Kovasin.

Here  is my final product, done in my Dylusions book:

 Obviously, I need some practice with the layering of elements and whatnot, but I have to say that I really enjoyed this process.

My first step was to gather potential objects around the house. I grabbed a stray puzzle piece, a notebook of paper, some piano flash cards, a thank you note from a relative, some sticks, some plumbing tape, a couple old keys, and two Air Force kids' tattoos. Not pictured is some cardboard, a starry cellophane bag from a local gift shop, an old map, and bubble wrap. The truth is that once I got working, I kind of forgot about a lot of these elements. I ended up using a sheet of the stationery, some cardboard that came from a recent Amazon shipment, and the map. I loved that cardboard because the top peeled off nicely to reveal the corrugated part.
I then decided it would be fun to gather some old scrapbook supplies. Now this is really why I forgot about the cool keys and sticks in the above picture. It was so much fun layering with items I hadn't used in years that I just got rolling with it.

 The next step was to start the layering process. I began with the scraps of paper and some found items.
I then started layering on the scrapbooking items. Although I often profess brown to not be a color I enjoy working with, I kind of liked the way the soft browns and the teal worked together in this collage, of which the color scheme was not at all planned. Nevertheless, I decided to cover it up, using the color combo as inspiration for the next step.

 


 I then covered the items with a watery gesso, Dylusion sprays in teal and yellow, and a Walnut colored-spray ink from Imagine.

I tweaked and tweaked, mostly trying to soften the colors. I decided the page needed a photo, so I sorted through what I had to find something that would work with the soft colors. It needed some layering on top of it, so I gessoed up another butterfly and glued it on the photo.

Here is the final project again:

One thing I learned about this heavy layering style is that you really need to spend time laying things out before gluing them down. I wish I had the photo chosen first because that would have helped me with the overall layout.

Something learned is always a good thing in my book.

6 comments:

Lynn K said...

What a great job of using "Around the House" items! This page came out awesome - I Love all the layering! Thanks for playing along in our Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!!

Lalo said...

You put it all together so well! So lovely and sweet!!!

Lalo
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge DT

Donna B. said...

I love how you used so many "around the house" items! I can't believe this is your first attempt at a page like this. It's beautiful! Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

joy said...

Hi, Cheryl! I love what you created with all of your household items. The colors are soft and pretty and the photo is so sweet amongst that sweet collage. Great job!!

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment. Also, thank you for becoming a follower.

Rachel said...

beautiful page! i just LOVE how many household items you included, you completely embraced the challenge! Thank you so much for playing Around the House with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Melanie said...

Great job with creating with this challenge. Beautiful! Thanks for playing with Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!