Thursday, July 31, 2014

Upcycled shoe box

I had some fun playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge for July, which was to use household items. For this project, I used a shoe box, old tissue paper, and a corn husk. Yup, you read that right - a corn husk.

I started with an old shoebox that I painted with gesso:

Then I picked some of my favorite colors in Dylusions sprays:


I spritzed spray onto my craft sheet and dabbed the tissue paper into it:
Then I took a corn husk and used the ridges as a texture stamp:
After gluing on layers of the paper torn up, I added the flowers, for which I failed to photograph the process.They were made with acrylic paints and ultra thick embossing powder. Here is a close-up:
And the final product again:
The quote says, "Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement." -- Golda Meir



4 comments:

Donna B. said...

Really cool project! Great use of household items. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Melanie said...

This is great. Lots of fun new ideas to use mixed media. Thank you for joining with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Rachel said...

very very pretty! love the use of tissue paper. Thank you so much for playing Around the House with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Lynn K said...

So creative!! Love the shoe box as the base of your project! Thanks for joining us in our Mixed Media Monthly Challenge with items from around the house!